viernes, 3 de febrero de 2012

My First (unsuccessful) week at school

So I started classes on Wednesday and I am in the lowest level possible, which is level one.  I have 3 other students in my class and I have my friend Becca with me which makes it nice to already know someone.  I have class from 9-1 with two different professors.  We have a couple ten minute breaks throughout the time slot but mostly it's 4 hours straight.  It doesn't really feel like four hours straight though because my professors are really nice and they make the class interesting.  In the first part of class we mostly learn about grammar and in the second part of class we have been learning about geography.  It's weird how some of the countries in Spanish are close to how we say it in English but others are completely different.  My teachers talk in Spanish the whole time but if we get confused they'll repeat it a couple times and then say it in English.  If we don't know a word in   Spanish we say "como si dice" but if we don't know a word in Spanish we say "que significa".  For the most part it's pretty easy because we are in the lowest level so we are reviewing all the grammar but I know it will get a little tougher later on.  So we were supposed to start our first day of classes on Tuesday but since I was in Morocco I didn't start until the next day.  Then I brought a sickness back with me so I went to class yesterday for about a half an hour and then tried to go today but only managed to last an hour.  It sucks missing this much class this early but my teachers understand and want me to get better.  This means though that I can't miss anymore class for the next 2 and a half weeks until we have our exam.  This shouldn't be too hard because I don't plan on missing anymore class between now and then.  Let's hope that I get over this sickness soon.  The way they do classes in Spain are different than back home.  I'm in the intensive program which means I have class for 3 weeks straight then have a final exam followed by about a 5 or 6 day break.  Then I move up to the higher level (level 2) and do the same thing over again.  I should be a level 4 when I am all done in Spain which means my Spanish will be greatly improved.  My friend Becca figured out that we only have about 63 days of actual school and we have 62 days of vacation and weekends which is spread out in the semester.  How awesome is that!?!  They should definitely change that back in the States.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario